Double board certified OBGYN and fertility doctor, Dr Natalie Crawford, MD, reviews the latest guidelines from the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) to help guide recommendations for those people trying to conceive, undergoing fertility treatments or pregnant.
How does the COVID vaccine work?
Should you get the COVID vaccine if you are pregnant or trying to conceive?
Should you delay your fertility treatments like IVF or embryo transfers?
What about risk of fever and miscarriage or birth defects?
Who should get the vaccine?
Does the COVID vaccine cause infertility, birth defects or miscarriage?
What if you are breastfeeding?
#fertility #COVID #nataliecrawfordmd
ASRM COVID VACCINE UPDATE:
1. Mbaeyi S. ACIP COVID-19 Vaccines Work Group. Use of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine: Clinical Considerations, Dec. 12, 2020
2. Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM) Statement: SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination in Pregnancy, December 1, 2020
3. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Vaccinating Pregnant and Lactating Patients Against COVID-19, Dec. 13, 2020
4. Ellington S, Strid P, Tong VT, Woodworth K, Galang RR, Zambrano LD, et al. Characteristics of women of reproductive age with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection by pregnancy status – United States, January 22-June 7, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:769-75
5. Zambrano LD, Ellington S, Strid P, Galang RR, Oduyebo T, Tong VT, et al. Update: characteristics of symptomatic women of reproductive age with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection by pregnancy status – United States, January 22-October 3, 2020. CDC COVID-19 Response Pregnancy and Infant Linked Outcomes Team. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:1641-7
6. Collin J, Byström E, Carnahan A, Ahrne M. Public Health Agency of Sweden’s Brief Report: pregnant and postpartum women with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection in intensive care in Sweden. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2020;99:819- 22.
7. Delahoy MJ, Whitaker M, O’Halloran A, Chai SJ, Kirley PD, Alden N, et al. Characteristics and maternal and birth outcomes of hospitalized pregnant women with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 – COVID- NET, 13 states, March 1-August 22, 2020. COVID-NET Surveillance Team. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:1347-54
8. Panagiotakopoulos L, Myers TR, Gee J, Lipkind HS, Kharbanda EO, Ryan DS, et al. SARS-CoV-2 infection among hospitalized pregnant women: reasons for admission and pregnancy characteristics – eight U.S. health care centers, March 1-May 30, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69:1355-9
9. US Food and Drug Administration. Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine EUA Letter of Authorization (https://www.fda.gov/media/144412/download).
10. Kerr SM, et al. Periconceptional maternal fever, folic acid intake, and the risk for neural tube defects. Ann Epidem. 2017;27: 777-782.
11. Sass L, et al. Fever in pregnancy and the risk of congenital malformations: a cohort study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth, 2017;17:413.
12. Polack FP, et al. Safety and Efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine. New Engl J Med. Dec. 10, 2020
Dr. Natalie Crawford, MD is a double board certified OBGYN and REI, and co-founder of Fora Fertility, a boutique fertility practice in Austin, Texas.
Welcome to the “As a Woman” community where we are all stronger together.
COME SAY HI!!!
715 W 34th Street, Austin, TX 78705
To become a patient: email email@example.com or call 512-956-5006
Listen to the AS A WOMAN PODCAST here:
GOOGLE PLAY: http://asawoman.libsyn.com/gpm
#fertility #fertilitydoctor #nataliecrawfordmd #doctor #asawoman
Sharing fertility facts to educate women about trying to conceive, getting pregnant, ovulation, fertility treatments, IUI, IVF, becoming a doctor, life as a woman in medicine, and more.